Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Health Care Costs Are High Even for the Insured

I don't remember which news show featured it, but there was a segment on last night that discussed the fact that even people with health insurance often put off health care because of the high deductibles and co-pays. This is certainly true in my own case. I'm fortunate enough to have employer-paid health insurance for my family, but this time of the year when deductibles have to be re-met is always a downer. Although we're all in excellent health, we have our share of expensive prescriptions and the occasional need to run a kid to the doctor for an ailment or a physical or whatever. But I avoid anything even remotely discretionary, such as check-ups for myself. I shudder when I hear of the hardships of others whose medical treatment is not at all discretionary and who suffer financially as a result, whether they have insurance or not.

No comments: